Drive Your Car on a Racetrack!
Cascade Sports Car Club Driver Training / Track Day Dates for 2020. Use the links in RED to sign up online.
Friday, May 1
We’re very sorry to announce that our May HPDE and races have been cancelled. If all goes well we’ll hold our June events on schedule.
Friday, June 19
Friday, August 14
Would you like to purchase a gift certificate to one of our track days for a loved one? You’re awesome! Click Here
To go directly to the sign up page for all of the events we’re hosting CLICK HERE
CASCADE SPORTS CAR CLUB (CSCC) HPDE TRACK DAYS
From novices to aspiring race car drivers, CSCC’s HPDE Track Day events let you experience the thrill of driving your car in a safe and controlled environment on a race track – Portland International Raceway. Get in, buckle up and get ready for the drive of your life!! CSCC’s HPDE Track Days offer three different groups: A beginner (novice) group, an intermediate group, and an advanced group which is for the experienced track participant. In the HPDE Novice group, you will be paired with an instructor who will work with you to safely navigate Portland International Raceway! You will learn the secrets and techniques of car control, the correct line around a racetrack, and more. You’ll begin the morning with speeds which are most comfortable to you and then build up by the end of the day to speeds which should only be achieved in a controlled environment aka a race track! The goal is for you to learn more about your car and become a better driver while enjoying the thrill of driving on a race track! In the HPDE Intermediate group, you will be paired with an instructor who will work with you to improve on skills already learned and work with you on some new advanced techniques. This group is designed for the person who has prior track experience, be it minimal or extensive. The goal is for you to improve on consistency and work on aspects of driving that you would like to improve on. In the HPDE Advanced group, you will not be paired with an instructor except for possibly the first session. This is a club day environment where the goal is to enjoy a day at the race track driving fast and safe with friends and other enthusiasts who share your same passion. Flow in this group is excellent with the more experienced drivers!
ADDITIONAL INFO ● You must be at least 18 years old and possess a current valid Driver’s license. ● Helmets are required, either SnellM2005 or SA2005 or newer .Rental helmets are available for $10.00. ● Space is limited, most groups are limited to 25 cars. ● A typical day includes four, 20-minute sessions on track. ● Convertibles must have a roll-bar. See “Convertible Roll Bar Requirements” ● All cars shall have a passenger seat and seat belts securely installed for an instructor. Both driver and passenger seat belts must function properly, be in good condition, and be of a minimum three point design (shoulder and lap belt), or a 5- or 6-point harness. 4-point harnesses will not be accepted.
- The seat and seat belts must be equivalent for both the driver and passenger. If the driver seat is aftermarket with a properly routed 5-point safety harness, then the instructor needs to have the same.
- Convertibles have different belt requirements. See “Convertible Roll Bar Requirements”
- Open toed shoes and / or shorts are not allowed.
- Cars shall be in good mechanical condition. Tires should be in good condition, the wheels properly tightened, and plenty of brake pad.
WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE TRACK?
- Arrive at the track between 6:45 am – 7:15 am.
- Sign the waiver at the gate and receive your wristband. This wristband must be worn at all times throughout the day.
- Check in at registration. Show registration your Driver’s License. At registration you will receive a schedule, your run group assignment, a tech form, and a number to help us identify you. Attach your number to the outside of the upper driver’s side corner of your front windshield and line your car up in the appropriate run group for tech inspection.
- If you have rented or need to rent a helmet, registration will be able to assist you.
- Check the schedule for time and place of the Mandatory Driver’s Meeting, and then of course attend. Typically the Driver’s Meeting is held around 7:45 am. At the conclusion of the Drivers Meeting, return to your car and wait for your instructor (if you’re in one of the school groups) to find you and get situated for your first track session.
- There will be a “Recon Lap Tour” for novice drivers, with an instructor giving first timers a low speed tour of the track. During this tour, which is usually 3-4 laps, the essential landmarks will be pointed out, such as turn stations, cones indicating turn-in points, corner apexes, etc. These laps are essential for you to understand how things work and what to look for on track.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day and mind your fatigue level -both physical and mental. There is no shame in sitting out a session if you’re feeling overwhelmed or tired.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Q: Do I have to be a member of Cascade to participate in this event? A: No, membership is not required. Cascade members do receive a discount. Q: Can passengers ride along with me? A: No, only your instructor is allowed to ride with you. Friends and family are welcome to attend and watch. It is free to watch!! And they may be able to get to ride along with one of our instructors on track during the lunch break! Q: Are convertibles allowed? A: Yes, but additional safety equipment is required. See “Convertible Roll Bar Requirements” Q: How are instructors assigned? A: We try to pair instructors with cars they are familiar with in order to give the best feedback to the participant. If for whatever reason you don’t click with your instructor, please request to have a different one. Every attempt will be made to find one who suits you. Q: Does the event run rain or shine? A: Yes Q: Does my car insurance cover me for this event? A: Most insurance companies do not cover you for a track event. It is best to check with your insurance company. There are companies who do provide track day insurance for an additional cost. Q: What is your Cancellation Policy? A: Our current cancellation/refund policy: ● If you cancel 7 days or more prior to the event, you will receive a full refund. (Credit card charges are typically processed on the day of the event.) ● If you cancel 6 days – 48 hours prior to the event, a $50 cancellation fee applies. ● Cancellations less than 48 hours prior to the event or a “No Show” on the day of the event receives no refund.
Q: Is there fuel for sale at the track? A: No, there are no automotive services available at the racetrack. There are nearby filling stations and parts stores, but it’s a good idea to arrive prepared for the day. Q: Is there food service available at the track A: Sometimes – but not always. There are concession stands, but their schedule is not controlled by our club or track day organizer. There are nearby restaurants, but if you’d like to participate in the instructor noon time rides (highly recommended) you might want to bring your own food and water. Many drivers prefer to have several smaller snacks or food throughout the day rather than one heavy meal. If you would like to download all of the above information (good idea!) Please click THIS LINK. Feel free to print it out to use as reference before and during the event.
Still have questions? Get in touch with our HPDE coordinator at: email@example.com
Portland International Raceway
On a “Chicane Event” the entire track is used. On a “Non-Chicane Event” turns 1,2 & 3 are bypassed. In spite of how it appears on the map above, there is track there… What this does is make the front straight longer and faster. Turn 4 becomes the first turn at the end of the front straightaway.